Saturday, 25 May 2019

Peace and Quiet

Woke up Monday morning
there was nothing I could do
Curled myself into a ball and
closed my eyes, thinking of you

By midday the phone was ringing:
Boss's number; killed the sound
Left it there, vibrating gently
by the window, on the ground

And I thought
what really happens if you give up life for good?
I think I'm gonna lie here till I feel just like I should.

That night my flatmates came home
from their jobs; I heard them laugh
When they'd all gone off to sleep
I ate some food and took a bath.

Wondered briefly what would happen
if I never left this place
Then just lay, eyes on the ceiling
picturing your angry face.

Woke again to sounds of knocking
They were banging on the door
Luckily I'd thought to lock it,
Wedged the drawer to be sure

I guess they'll keep on trying
Won't they just leave me alone?
Don't want to see them through the window
or to hear them on the phone.

There's only one person I'm missing
And I know you won't return
So I'm gonna burn my life until
there's nothing left to burn

What really happens if you give up life for good?
I think I'm gonna lie here till I feel just like I should.

No comments: